Life in Africa

So over the last couple of days we have been extremely busy. Traveling to Lira from the airport was a long first day. We spent nearly 6 hours in the car on Saturday driving along some bumpy roads. The exciting part of the trip was the bridge over the Nile River where a lot of baboons waited for cars to pass and throw food to them.

Before we left for Lira from Kampala we exchanged our money at a mall. I think this is the closest I will ever be to becoming a millionaire. I changed my US dollars into Ugandan Schillings and had 705,000 schillings. I was basically handed a wad of cash that made me feel like I was drug dealer of sorts.

Sunday was our first day filming. We first attended a mass at the local cathedral that the Bishop presided over. All of the kids who sat in front of us were so nicely dressed and behaved. They were all very adorable and many which I wouldn’t mind stealing to take back with us to the states. After the mass we interview the Bishop in his residence behind the church.

His interview was very interesting and had some wonderful stories to hear about his life as the Bishop and being exiled for a time from Uganda. He spoke a lot about forgiveness and the importance of it in our lives and especially in the lives of those in Uganda who have been attacked by different groups.

We stoppedatan Indian restaurant for lunch which was delicious and quite filling. In the afternoon we stopped by a shop run by Mr. Otim who helped organize a lot of our trip here in Lira. Many of the girls bought some jewelry from the shop, I bought a shirt which I cannot wait to wear when I get back to the states.

Today we did several interviews with at different locations. In the morning we interviewedatan organization that worked with families to help them help their children recover from time in the bush after being captured as well preventing domestic violence in the houses.

We also stopped at a school which assisted children who had been in the bush transition back to normal life and work on getting them back into the education system. We heard a story from a boy who had spent time in the bush and his time there and returning from it. It seemed as though everyone we encountered had a truly incredible story that I wish we could have talked with more of them.

In the afternoon we talked to Mamma Angelina. She is an inspiring person who has accomplished so much but takes no credit for it. She had a daughter taken from her for 7 years and 7 months, but yet she remained hopeful and positive throughout that time. She was a joy to be around and such a positive energy.

We have seen and done so much in the couple days we have been here that I cannot wait to see what the next week and half or so have in store for us.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *