Ever since my coca-cola obsession began when I was about 8-years-old I have loved and collected signs. These are all of the signs that I saw that I thought were funny, beautiful, intriguing or inspiring while in Africa that I didn’t get to blog about. I saw them in front of stores, on billboards, as bumper stickers, and on little wood slabs that were held up by posts, which stuck in the ground, etc. I miss them deeply and have been quite bored with my recent drives on Dodge Street and I-80, which seem completely lackluster compared my flowing bus-view of hand painted signs above 4’ by 4’ wood stands, stone buildings and tin-roofed shacks which continually decorated the middle third of my camera frame between blue sky and the foot-pounded red dirt road.
Hopefully someday I will turn these signs into something more than just a list (maybe write or make something). I also hope that the dates and times (my record of which declined the longer that I was in Africa) will help others to visualize the sheer volume and virtual eternity of these quotes and that they themselves will give others a piece of Africa and its spirit. There are some days below that have more quotes than others. This may be because it was one of the days that we were driving further, or it may be because it was our first time in a new area. There were a lot of signs that we saw multiple times, but I never stopped writing them down throughout the trip. In fact, by the end, other students were helping me when they saw a good one. I elected to put them here with out explanation. But I did (for the most part) record locations and descriptions.
Entebbe to Kampala (too dark to see signs)
Kampala to Jinja (6-10, afternoon)
- “Nile Special. You’ve earned it” 12:40pm.
- “Make thirst beg for mercy. Be uncontainable” 12:50pm.
- “Beauty garage. Experience the beauty in you” 12:50pm.
- “The more you talk to him, the less you consume” 12:52pm.
- “Shine your continent” 12:52pm.
- “No smoking. Switch-off engine. Switch off phone” 12:53pm.
- “Everyone deserves a fortune”
- “Extra is more”
- “OH MY GOD”
- “Tastefully different”
- “Its all about you”
Jinja to Kampala (6-10, evening)
- “Water is life” 4:30pm.
- “Give way” 5:15pm.
- “Your growth is our pride” 5:15pm.
- “Prosperity is waiting for you” 5:20pm.
Kampala to Entebbe (6-11, morning)
- “Dark and lovely”
- “Is this a fair fight?”
- “Consistent. Trusted. Admired”
- “Don’t say goodbye. We have the world connected”
- “Together we can”
- “We care”
Entebbe to Lira (6-11, afternoon)
- “Equity bank”
- “In God we trust electronics”
- “Smart choice for life”
- “Wishes you a safe journey”
- “Agape girls”
- “Good friends photo studio”
- “Haven away from home”
Farm View Hotel, Lira to Ave Maria Vocational School, Lira (6-12, morning)
- “But fortune. Build Uganda”
- “Good lifts me up. God is good all the time. All the time God is good”
- Ave MariaàFarm View Hotel (6-12, evening)
- “G-one planet”
- “Ebeneezer Dairy”
- “Cha’s. Your body and soul”
- “Barbie’s Restaurant”
Farm View Hotel to Radio WA, Lira (6-13, morning)
- “Condition permanent”
- “Comet grocery”
- “You are welcome”
- “Drug shop”
Radio WA to Radio WA Tower, Lira (6-13, afternoon)
- “Say no to gifts for sex”
- “Greenland executive saloon”
- “Be innovative to achieve”
- “Together we go further”
- “A smart newspaper for smart people”
- “One family”
- “Faith project”
Farm View Hotel to Abia (6-14, morning)
- “J & M goad roasting joint”
- “God is able”
- “Diving mercy supermarket”
Farm View Hotel to Get a car for Teresa and Abia (6-15, morning)
- “Water is life”
Nob View Hotel, Kampala to The Observer Office, Kampala (6-21, afternoon)
- “Classic pork joint”
- “I always try new things and nothing holds me down. That’s my break out swag”
The Observer Office to Craft Shop, Kampala (6-21, later afternoon)
- “Take a closer look. Well beyond ordinary”